Sunday, May 1, 2011

Introduction

Hello.

I am an English major, who is utterly baffled at the lack of explanations for classic poems, that is constructing this blog to help out my fellow companions.

Poetry is a personal experience that is enjoyed by reading, as well as writing. As time has gone on, poetry has become far more complex and confounding. If you're anything like me, you're probably ripping your hair out trying to come up with a summary of what you just read. More frustrating, is that there are no websites available to really help any reader out!

I will try my hardest to summarize and explain as many poems as I can. They might not be perfect, but I assure you that it will be far better than staring at a stanza that reads:

"But not so. How arrives it joy lies slain
And why unblooms the best hope ever sown?
-Crass Casualty obstructs the sun and rain,
And dicing Time for gladness casts a moan...
These purblind Doomsters had as readily strown
Blisses about my pilgrimage as pain."

At the end of that poem (Hap by Thomas Hardy), I literally screamed, "WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ?!"

Next installment:

Deciphering Hap by Thomas Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment